Life Isn't Measured by the Number of Breaths You Take, but by the Moments that Take Your Breath Away

Friday, March 26, 2010

Mom, I have to tell you something about my report card . . .

SO, I had no idea today was report card day. It could have flown safely over my head and I would have never been the wiser. But my cutie Huntie felt it was very important to tell me that she got her report card today and that I shouldn't be too worried about looking at it because she didn't get any awards or honor roll or anything. She was so straight-faced and matter-of-fact about it that I just figured, well no big deal, I guess the schools in Texas don't make all the hoopla each term like the schools in Louisiana did.

So we get home on our bikes and I kind of forget about report cards. Then Hunter comes back into the kitchen a few minutes after later and said, "Mom, I have something to tell you about my report card."

OK.

She whipsers into my ear, "Mom, I got an F."

WHAT!

So she gets out the report card. You see, she always loves springing stuff on people, so I'm usually on my guard about that kind of stuff. She loves to jump out and surprise people and catch anyone off guard. She also loves to switch the outcome of her stories, just to see her audience's relief, or surprise, when she jumps back to the true ending. So, here we are, looking at her F.


Of course, no Fs. But she really did have me going for a second there. I know she'd been working her tushie off in a new school with high standards. I knew she'd struggled with difficult homework assignments and challenging classwork. I told myself, well, an F would suck, but maybe she's just doing the best she can the same moment she moves to a new school, new state, in with her grandparents, her mom and dad get divorced, etc. An F would be easy to understand. But I was so grateful and truly beaming that she came out of all of that on top and securely on A-B Honor Roll. She really truly has worked so hard and done so very well.

The same goes for Michael. He is thriving in his new environment. He's on fire writing stories, reading books and doing Accelerated Reading tests left and right, solving math problems and everything else you could imagine. He's soaring, and he's not even breaking a sweat.


Both kids earned Citizenship awards! YEAH!



These are tender mercies from our Heavenly Father. He has carried us through such a trying time. I feel Father daily and am so grateful for his personal involvement in our day-to-day lives.

1 comment:

  1. AWESOME job Hunter & Michael!!! Gotta LOVE those Texas schools!

    ReplyDelete